Yes, you read it right, folks! That’s awesome; using a simple trick on your iPhone 4S, you’ll be able to quickly launch apps with Siri. Apple didn’t bring the ability to open apps using Siri but thanks to some tricks, you can actually do this on your style. Below we’re showing you how to open apps using voice commands from Siri.
The trick is based on launching apps via the URL scheme in Safari. For those who don’t know, you can launch any app and take some actions via Safari browser URLs. Developers has been working on finding some URL schemes which enables some hidden features on iOS too.
You can launch apps as Twitter, Facebook, App Store and more using URL schemes. Here’s some examples:
- itms-apps:// – Open the App Store
- maps:// – Open the Maps app
- sms:// – Open the compose window of the Messages app
- music:// – Go to the currently playing song in the Music app
- youtube:// – Open the YouTube app
- itms-books:// – Open the iBooks app
Moreover, you can add commands to your apps too. If you want to launch Twitter and open the compose windows, you can simply do this by typing twitter://post?message into Safari.
Okay, now let’s get back to Siri:
For Siri, you’ll use the same option that Apple allows you to launch apps. Luckily, you can add URL schemes into a contact. So by creating a new contact and adding the URL scheme for the app you want to launch or the command you want to add, you’ll be able to call it via Siri.
We’ll take Facebook as an example, let’s add some popular schemes from the below ones to a contact named “Facebook”:
- fb://profile – Open Facebook app to the user’s profile
- fb://friends – Open Facebook app to the friends list
- fb://notifications – Open Facebook app to the notifications list
- fb://feed – Open Facebook app to the News Feed
- fb://events – Open Facebook app to the Events page
- fb://requests – Open Facebook app to the Requests list
- fb://notes – Open Facebook app to the Notes page
- fb://albums – Open Facebook app to Photo Albums list
Create a new contact and then scroll down till you get to the URLs section at the bottom. Add some of those above and save contact as shown below:
What now? Just tell Siri “Facebook” and it will show you your contact with your commands. If you only added one URL scheme, it’ll do it immediately.
You can find all URL schemes here.
Below is a video showing in action:
Awesome, isn’t it?If you found this post useful, hopefully hit the +1 (recommend) button ⇉
You can follow Ahmed Omar on Twitter, join our Facebook fanpage and add me on Google+ to keep yourself updated on the latest jailbreak and unlock news.